Literacy Coaching Intensive
In partnership with MAISA, Wayne RESA is honored to continue the highly sought after Intensive Literacy Coaching Institute aimed at enhancing the coaching skills of early elementary literacy coaches. Unlike previous Institutes in which enrollment was open to coaches throughout the state, our Intensive Coaching Institutes have been customized to support our county-wide coaching network. As part of our continued commitment to supporting literacy coaching, Wayne RESA is committed to providing ongoing support to coaches that participate in the Intensive. Participating coaches have the opportunity to receive mentoring around coaching goals to continue to strengthen their coaching craft. Additionally, we will continue offering these Intensive Literacy Coaching Institutes and hope to expand our offerings to include literacy coaches at all grade levels within the next few years.
We believe that a participant will benefit most from the Intensive Coaching Project if she/he:
- Has had at least three years of teaching experience at the K-5th grade level
- Is an active participant in the Wayne County Coaching Network
- Is currently an early literacy coach with a role that includes the coaching of individual teachers and/or mentoring of other coaches
- Has obtained the approval of her/his supervisor to participate in this professional development opportunity
- Is able to commit to all four days of learning.
The main outcomes of the Intensive Coaching Institute Project are tied to the MAISA GELN Essential Coaching Practices for Elementary Literacy and include the following:
- Identify individual literacy coaching strengths and areas that might be strengthened
- Develop skills and paths to enhance:
- Literacy-specific coaching
- Coaching communication skills (Ex: mediating thinking)
- Small group/team level facilitation skills
- Communicating and gaining support from administrators
- Personal coaching goals for various roles
- Develop a peer mentoring model for ongoing support
Some of the activities planned for the Intensive Coaching Project include the following:
- Professional development about the integration of two or more of the Essential Instructional Practices for integrating Early Literacy Essential Instructional Practices into small group instruction
- Active participation, with the support of the project facilitators and your coaching colleagues, in co-planning, implementing, and reflecting on instruction based on the Essential Instructional Practices in Early Literacy, Grades K-3, in partnership with the host school.